Today we celebrate the Baptism of the Lord. Since it is the official closing of the Christmas season, I thought that I would finally share some of my reflections on the coming of sweet little baby Jesus.
"Behold the Virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel, which means 'God is with us'." Matthew 1:23
I spent a great deal of time reflecting on this idea of "God with us". I've heard it a million times. God is with us. Not above us, or below us. Not ahead of us or watching from a distance. God is with us. Right next to us. Step by step. Sometimes He carries us. Sometimes He drags us. Sometimes He pushes us. But He is always right there.
I love this imagery. It is very comforting to hear that God is always with us. However, during this Advent and Christmas season I really had to ask myself if I actually live like "God is with us". The answer is, I don't. Instead, I live like God is sitting on the sideline or chilling in his recliner watching everything unfold. When I need Him, I can run to Him for help - and He will come. But otherwise, I live like He's somewhere over there while I'm over here putting on a good show.
I began this Advent thinking that I was really going to prepare my heart for Christ. I wanted to clear out all the crap that keeps me from God in order to create an open, empty space for Him to dwell. It was a beautiful sentiment, but it didn't get me very far. My thinking was completely backward. I had this vision of cleaning up my heart and soul, getting everything in line and perfect, and then inviting Christ in. Friends, it does not work that way. I couldn't clean up anything on my own. I tried (very hard) to make things better and I miserably failed. Over and over again.
God is with us.
This Christmas I learned that God does not want to wait until things are nice and neat enough for Him to enter into our hearts. We can't do the cleaning and repairs on our own. God wants to be with us. He wants to enter right into the center of our mess. He wants to sit in it with us and sort it out. He wants to be the one to encourage us when we're tired. He wants to help us throw away what we don't need. He wants to be the one to give us a little kick when we are dragging our feet. He wants to gently help us to see the beautiful treasures that are hidden in the back corners behind fear and doubt. He wants to be with us.
We don't make things perfect and then invite Christ in.
We invite Christ in, and work with Him as He makes all things new.
No comments:
Post a Comment