2. I'm Not As Holy As I Thought... And Neither Are The Sisters.
This news may be shocking and scandalizing to some of you, but I am going to tell you anyway.
I am not living with Sisters who are perfect and never commit a sin. They make mistakes, get annoyed, lose their temper, and have selfish moments... just like every other human being. The difference is, the Sisters are not willing to settle. They are acutely aware of their brokenness and frailty - and that God's merciful love and grace is their only hope. They mess up. They know it. They also know that we have a God who loves us more deeply than we can fathom and that He never tires of forgiving us. They are not perfect, but they never stop trying. Living with women who strive so diligently for holiness has made me realize just how spiritually lazy I have been. It's not that I thought I was perfect.. far from it. But when it came down to doing the really hard work of changing the things I didn't want to change, it was too much effort. I figured I had all the regular human imperfections and that God would love me anyway. But the truth is, the more you come to know and love our Lord, the more you want to be like Him. I don't want to change who I am because I think it will make God love me more. I want to grow in holiness because it will help me to more fully become the person that God created me to be... a person that (hopefully) lives and loves more like Him each day. It is not easy. I have an extremely long way to go, but I have many amazing examples to show me the way.
Obviously a big adjustment for you after living with with your parents (who are almost perfect). Love you,
ReplyDeleteMom
;-))
And that's exactly where I get my humility from... thanks mom and dad! :)
ReplyDelete